One Act Play Festivals
A one-act play festival is a competition based festival, usually of one-act 'plays'. Plays are usually text based works written by either established playwrights or emerging new writers, directors or community theatre companies/groups.
The VDL supports a range of festivals held each year. Festivals are usually hosted by established community theatre companies and provide an opportunity for everyone to participate in a weekend of community based theatre.
Plays are usually presented over a weekend with performances taking place in sessions, usually Friday evenings, all day Saturday and Sundays if required. A range of prizes can be won and plays are usually judged by an independent adjudicator with an awards presentation held at the end of the festival. Participants usually receive feedback on their performance via an adjudicators report, either verbal or in writing.
One Act Play Festivals are organised and run independently of the VDL.
Any query about rules or management of the Festivals should be directed to the relevant organisers.
As a guide, most companies use variations of the following rules.
Please note that the VDL does not endorse nor prescribe these rules.
- Running Time: Usually between 15 to 45-50 minutes per production
- Number of characters: Check with the host company
- "Bump in" time 10 minutes, "bump out" time 5 minutes
- Royalties to be paid by the participant(s)
- A copy of the script should be sent with the entry
- Information about cast, play & company is usually sent to the organisers with the entry from for inclusion in the program
- Entry fees vary from festival to festival
Note that festival dates occasionally overlap. It is our hope that festival organisers will avoid placing festivals on the same weekend as another.
The VDL and One Act Play Festivals.
The VDL supports a range of one act play festivals held each year by -
- providing an opportunity to promote the festivals in Theatrecraft magazine and on the website
- sponsoring a $50 youth encouragement award, called the Theatrecraft Youth Unlimited Award, to eligible festivals.
The Theatrecraft Youth Unlimited Award - conditions and eligibility
- the festival organising body must be a theatre company that is a financial member of the VDL
- the festival program must include actors 21 years and under
- festival organisers need to contact the VDL Office 3 weeks prior to the festival to register their request for an award
- the festival organiser is to include information about the VDL (to be supplied) in the printed program for the festival
- the winner to be decided by the festival adjudicator
- the certificate to be presented where possible by a member of the VDL Committee of Management
- the winner to contact the VDL Office to claim their prize money
Looking for a One Act Play?
The VDL's library has an extensive collection of plays including one act plays. Members are eligible to hire either individual plays or sets of plays at very reasonable rates.
For further details about hiring from the library, contact the VDL office by email or telephone 03 9663 4222.
One Act Play Festivals
Fri 12 Jul 2019
to Sun 14 Jul 2019
THE MOUNT PLAYERS 16th ONE ACT PLAY FESTIVAL.
Entries: PO Box 216, Macedon 3440
Leo Vandervalk 0458582838 or
Bernadette Tonna 0419348387
for more details
Festival Address: The Mountview Theatre, 56 Smith St,
Fri 19 Jul 2019
to Sun 21 Jul 2019
Dandenong Ranges One Act Play Festival
Gemco Players Community Theatre Inc.
PO BOX 480 Emerald 3782
Festival Address: The Gem Theatre
19 Kilvington Drive
Emerald VIC 3782
Sat 03 Aug 2019
to Sun 04 Aug 2019
Ararat One Act Play Festival
Fri 09 Aug 2019
to Sun 11 Aug 2019
Mansfield Festival of One Act Plays 2019
Information: Kammy Cordner Hunt
Telephone: 0409 799 795
Entries: firstname.lastname@example.org (entries, monies)
Mansfield Festival of One Act Plays,
PO Box 34,
Closing Date: Mon 08 Jul 2019
This event follows on from the success of our previous three events. We are in a lovely locale, in a new Performing Arts Centre.
You’ll find a wealth of experience in the theatre arts here, some great prizes to be won, and a warm welcome for the talent coming to contest them.
We also encourage regional entries from North Eastern Victoria and elsewhere.
Festival Address: Mansfield Performing Arts Centre,
Mansfield Secondary College,
Sat 17 Aug 2019
to Sun 18 Aug 2019
Anglesea One Act Play Festival
Adjudicator: Hannie Rayson and Michael Cathcart
Information: Christine Walker
Telephone: 0408 444 199
Entries: Anglesea One Act Play Festival
Post Office, Anglesea 3230
Festival Address: Anglesea Community Hall
Mc Millan Street
Anglesea Vic 3230
Sat 24 Aug 2019
to Sun 25 Aug 2019
South Gippsland 19th One Act Play Festival (FAMDA)
Please note Date Change
Information: Jennifer Paragreen
Telephone: 03 5682 2077 (preferred),
Mob: 0418 342 445
Entries: Festival Manager,
P. O. Box 186,
Hosted by FAMDA (Foster Arts Music &
Festival Address: Foster War Memorial Arts Centre,
79 Main Street,
Fri 06 Sep 2019
to Sun 08 Sep 2019
Kyneton's 63rd Festival of One Act Plays
Information: Marg Dearricott
Telephone: (03) 5422 2282
Entries: POST ENTRIES TO
Kyneton's Festival of One Act Plays and
Kyneton Daffodil & Arts Festival Inc,
PO Box 59,
OR CALL ON p (03) 5422 2282
Festival Address: Kyneton Bluestone Theatre,
28 Hutton Street,
Sat 07 Sep 2019
to Sun 08 Sep 2019
Seymour Performers Workshop 2019
4th One Act Play Festival
Information: Brett Harvey
Telephone: 0438 630 332
Closing Date: Sun 14 Jul 2019
Seymour Performers Workshop
Festival Address: Seymour Community Arts Centre
29 Stewart Street, Seymour, 3660
Fri 04 Oct 2019
to Sun 06 Oct 2019
Monash One Act Play Festival hosted by Peridot Theatre
Adjudicator: Richard Keown
Telephone: 0411 486 605
The Monash One Act Play Festival is
Full detail on Peridot's Website
Festival Address: Peridot Theatre, Mt Waverley Secondary
Lechte Rd Mt Waverley 3149
Melway Ref 61 F11